Thursday, October 11, 2012

Capture Your Grief: Days 6 and 7

Day 6: What not to Say

Since losing Abigail, I have certainly learned that there is great power in the words that we speak.  It makes me wonder how often have I said something hurtful to someone when I had no idea? Many times I am sure. Words can be SO healing, or so hurtful.  I have learned that it is better not to talk if I'm just talking idly, with no purpose. Eventually idle talk will lead to hurtful words, even if it's unintentional.  I never know what someone may be going through, that my words may cause them pain. So I think it is so important to choose our words wisely.

T- is it true?
H- is it helpful?
I-is it inspired?
N-is it necessary?
K-is it kind?

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin.
Proverbs 13:3

Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.  Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness.
2 Timothy 2:14-16

Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.  Therefore stand in awe of God. Ecclesiastes 5:7

Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house.  And not only do they become idlers, but also busybodies who talk nonsense, saying things they ought not to.
1 Timothy 5:13

Don't say anything that would hurt another person.  Instead, speak only what is good so that you can give help wherever it is needed.  That way, what you say will help those who hear you.  Ephesians 4:29

We all stumble in many ways.  Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.  When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal.  Or take ships as an example.  Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go.  Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.  Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body.  It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one's life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.  James 3:2-6

Day 7: What to Say

Let me know that you think about Abigail and that you will never forget her!  And please feel free to ask me about her. I would love to tell you all about her! She is no less a part of our life than if she was here with us!

“If you know someone who has lost a child or lost anybody who’s important to them, and you’re afraid to mention them because you think you might make them sad 
by reminding them that they died, they didn’t forget they died. You’re not reminding them. What you’re reminding them of is that you remember that they lived, and that’s a great, great gift.’”
- Elizabeth Edwards

"The mention of my child's name may bring tears to my eyes, but it never fails to bring music to my ears.  If you are really my friend, let me hear the music of her name! It soothes my broken heart and sings to my soul!"- Author Unknown

Thank you Tesha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers